24/7 Call: 86-18017371046
  • Jaw Crusher Parts
  • Impact Crusher parts
  • Cone Crusher Parts
  • Sand Maker Parts
  • all Mill Spare Parts
  • Metal Shredder Spare Parts
  • Others
  • Current Position£ºHome > Chile¡¯s top court orders Goldcorp to halt El Morro mine

    Chile's Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that mining giant Goldcorp (TSX:G), (NYSE:GG) can¡¯t move forward with its $3.9 

    billion El Morro gold and copper mine until local indigenous groups who oppose the project are better consulted.

    The court, Orbe news agency reports (in Spanish), said an environmental permit awarded last year should be put on 

    hold until a fresh consultation, based on an International Labour Organization convention, has taken place with the 

    local Diaguita community, from Chile¡¯s north.

    In April, an appeals court rejected the same indigenous group¡¯s attempt to halt the project, saying the Canadian 

    gold miner conducted the required consultation. But the group complained Goldcorp had not done it in the way it 

    should have to regain its mining licence. They also said the mine could pollute a local river and they took the case 

    to the Supreme Court.

    This is not the first time Goldcorp has to suspend construction at the site. It happened in 2012 and then again in 

    November last year.

    The Diaguita also opposed the massive Barrick Gold (TSX:ABX) Pascua-Lama project, stalled since 2013.

    Goldcorp holds a 70% stake in El Morro. New Gold (TSX:NGD) owns the other 30%. Due to begin operations in 2017, the 

    mine has proven and probable reserves totalling 6.7 million ounces of gold and 4.9 billion pounds of copper.

    Copyright 2016.DENP  »¦ICP±¸11001085ºÅ   Tel:0086-21-50282795    Call:86-18017371046    Email:denpchina@denpchina.com    News    Products    Contact